Even during this tough period, our partners continue to offer online activities to introduce youth to science and technology. These resources are free and only require a computer. Here is a list of all activities currently offered, which will be updated on a weekly basis.
Virtual coding club sessions
Kids Code Jeunesse is an organization committed to providing every child with access to digital education tools. The organization offers Coding Club virtual sessions in French and English several times a week. In addition to the virtual Coding Club, you can consult other online resources on this blog.
Level: Elementary and Highschool
Alloprof is an organization that offers free homework help and lessons to all elementary, secondary and adult students, as well as the parents of students in Quebec. Alloprof offers 8 services (a telephone service, a texting service, and 6 online services) involving a team of qualified teachers and a virtual community composed of student helpers, parents and education experts.
Looking for inspiration to keep your child busy? The Alloprof Parents team has identified some stimulating activities to try during the leave.
If your child is in elementary school:
- *New* Participate in writing a story for the Grimoire reading game! The ideas of all the participants will be collected as they go along, to write the rest of the story, which, once complete, will even be integrated into the game.
- *New* Suggested activities for the days off: ideas to cut up and randomly select to entertain your child
- Reading challenge: love for read = success: to give your child a desire for reading, there’s nothing better than playing as a family.
- Spending quality time: creative ideas that will help you uphold your bond with your child 🙂
If your child is in highschool:
- Is your child a good cyber-citizen? A few questions to start the discussion.
- How can you encourage your teen to read at home? It’s a good habit that can support academic success!
- Games and apps for practicing French (Conjugo, PP L’Archer), English (Irregular Verbs Challenge) and geography (Allo Monde).
- Imagine the new Alloprof forums, a mini survey that will allow your child to help develop a tool based on their opinions.
- Top 5 Alloprof review tools
For more inspiration, follow the Facebook pages of Alloprof and Alloprof Parents.
Cyber-mentors to guide students
Level: students from 14 to 30 years old
Where: online, on the Academos platform
Academos is a mentoring platform that aims to connect young people between the ages of 14 and 30 with the reality of the working world and helps them realize a fulfilling professional life project, in order to make our society more educated, qualified and prosperous.
In this period of uncertainty where all students in Quebec are confined to their homes, Academos continues to support young people in their educational and professional orientation by offering a new series of virtual meetings with professionals who are passionate about their profession.
Entitled Passion contagieuse, this series will take place in the form of Facebook Live every Tuesday (4 PM) and Friday (11 AM) on the Academos page. During these bi-weekly sessions, an Academos mentor will be on hand for 30 minutes to answer live questions from young people about their profession and career path.
Youth can also visit the Academos Facebook page every day to participate in discussions aimed at breaking silos. Every day, we will ask them a new question inviting them to share their feelings about current events and tips on how to stay busy and motivated on their studies and career path.