Full-time - 4617BR
As a VFX Artist at Ubi MTL, you will deliver visually impressive moments that positively influence gameplay and enhance the player experience. Be it smoke, fire, an explosion, falling snow, or a waterfall, every one of your effects accents the immersive game world – and often has people wondering, “How did you do that?”
As a tech-savvy artist, you combine technology and creativity to make the magic happen. You can adapt to a variety of tools while relying on your core talent to create and integrate impactful, high quality, real-time visual effects.
What you’ll do
- Collaborate with the core team to understand the overall creative vision and establish visual effect priorities.
- Create environment and cinematic effects using particle systems and textures you produce.
- Partner with programmers to assess needs and develop tools.
- Work within technical constraints to craft attractive and functional effects.
- Integrate your created VFX into the engine.
- Develop effects based on play test results and comments from cross-functional team members (debug and optimize).
- Adapt to feedback received from the community after live launch (in some cases), balancing expectations with limitations.
What you bring
- Experience in modelling, texturing, lighting, image processing, or related experience
- Knowledge of 2D art tools (e.g. Photoshop), compositing software (e.g. After Effects or Nuke), 3D software (e.g. Maya or 3DS Max), and game editors (e.g. Unity or Unreal) *
- An understanding of basic vector math and art fundamentals (lighting, composition, proportion, colour theory, etc.)
- Ability to accept feedback and adapt to it
- A creative and collaborative spirit
- Exceptional communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- A keen eye for detail
*Knowledge of procedural generation software (e.g. Houdini) & shader writing and optimization a huge plus*
Just a heads up: If you require a work permit, your eligibility may depend on your education and years of relevant work experience, as required by the government.
What to send our way
- Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, and skills
- A demo reel with a breakdown of your best work – seriously, show us your process! Attach samples or send us a link to your personal website or online portfolio.
Creating the unknown since 1997. At Ubisoft Montreal, we’re united by a common goal: to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. We develop iconic franchises that engage millions around the world, like Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, For Honor, Rainbow Six, Watch Dogs – and, well, we can’t disclose all our secrets just yet.
Our biggest strength is – and always will be – our people: the immensely talented team members surrounding, supporting, and producing the high-quality games that have made our studio what it is today.
When you join Ubi MTL, you’ll discover a workplace that sparks inspiration and connection: an environment with a variety of voices, identities, backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We offer a collaborative space that provides career advancement, a host of learning opportunities, and meaningful benefits centred on well-being. Here, our shared desire to dream big, take risks, and constantly improve contributes to the innovation and boundary-pushing that ultimately leads to our collective success.