Full-time - 4617BR
As a VFX Artist at Ubi MTL, you will deliver visually impressive moments that positively influence gameplay and enhance the player experience. Be it smoke, fire, an explosion, falling snow, or a waterfall, every one of your effects accents the immersive game world – and often has people wondering, “How did you do that?”
As a tech-savvy artist, you combine technology and creativity to make the magic happen. You can adapt to a variety of tools while relying on your core talent to create and integrate impactful, high quality, real-time visual effects.
What you’ll do
- Collaborate with the core team to understand the overall creative vision and establish visual effect priorities.
- Create environment and cinematic effects using particle systems and textures you produce.
- Partner with programmers to assess needs and develop tools.
- Work within technical constraints to craft attractive and functional effects.
- Integrate your created VFX into the engine.
- Develop effects based on play test results and comments from cross-functional team members (debug and optimize).
- Adapt to feedback received from the community after live launch (in some cases), balancing expectations with limitations.
What you bring
- Experience in modelling, texturing, lighting, image processing, or related experience
- Knowledge of 2D art tools (e.g. Photoshop), compositing software (e.g. After Effects or Nuke), 3D software (e.g. Maya or 3DS Max), and game editors (e.g. Unity or Unreal) *
- An understanding of basic vector math and art fundamentals (lighting, composition, proportion, colour theory, etc.)
- Ability to accept feedback and adapt to it
- A creative and collaborative spirit
- Exceptional communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- A keen eye for detail
*Knowledge of procedural generation software (e.g. Houdini) & shader writing and optimization a huge plus*
Just a heads up: If you require a work permit, your eligibility may depend on your education and years of relevant work experience, as required by the government.
What to send our way
- Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, and skills
- A demo reel with a breakdown of your best work – seriously, show us your process! Attach samples or send us a link to your personal website or online portfolio.
At Ubisoft Montreal, a preeminent developer of video games located in Montreal’s dynamic Mile-End neighbourhood since 1997, we offer a work environment unique in the industry for allowing you to build and cultivate games that are part of critically acclaimed, iconic AAA franchises of international repute.
When you join Ubi Montreal, you enter a community of passionate, extraordinary developers connected by their need to innovate, to be creative and to work with the latest technology. You’ll discover a world where employees enjoy constant career advancement, a supportive learning environment, and competitive compensation packages.
More than anything, at Ubi Montreal, you will regularly ship a variety of big, quality titles – Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Rainbow Six, Watch_Dogs, For Honor and… well we can’t disclose all our secrets just yet… – and work with some of the most talented people in the industry.
At Ubisoft, you can come as you are. We embrace diversity in all its forms. We’re committed to fostering a work environment that is inclusive and respectful of all differences.