Full-time - REF6663Q
As a UI Artist at Ubi MTL, you’ll build the visuals that smoothly guide players as they navigate a game, breaking down any barriers that stand between them.
Sure, your title may have “artist” in it, but you're a game developer above all. With a player-focused mindset, you make use of space and choose the best design elements like colour, typography, and animation to communicate clear, consistent, key content at the right place at the right time. Thanks to your work, gameplay experiences can remain immersive – and not abruptly interrupted by questions like, “What am I supposed to be doing again?”
What you’ll do
- Partner with the brand and art directors to grasp the game’s visual identity, art direction, and brand guidelines.
- Follow design documentation to translate high-level gameplay ideas into functional UI designs.
- Work (very) closely with UX designers to visually communicate the path they’ve laid out.
- Create interface assets (menus, animation, HUD, icons, buttons, world maps, etc.) + build wireframes and mockups.
- Find balance between artistic aspects and technical constraints.
- Integrate your assets using our proprietary tools and engines, with the help of programmers.
- Develop and refine your work based on feedback from collaborative teams (debug and optimize).
- Document and share your UI design workflow and best practices.
- Collaborate with the localization team to adapt menus into different languages.
What you bring
- A college diploma in Digital Media, Computation Arts, Graphic Design, or equivalent (undergraduate degree an asset)
- At least 3 years of experience in visual design or related experience
- Knowledge of design tools (Photoshop, Illustrator, and After Effects), game engines (e.g. Unity or Unreal), game limitations, and prototyping tools *
- Understanding of usability principals & information architecture
- A highly creative, collaborative, and innovative spirit
- Excellent problem-solving, communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- Motivation to reach out for feedback and adapt to it
- A sharp eye for UX design and a passion for visual communication!
*Knowledge of 3D software (e.g. 3DS Max or Maya) + familiarity with scripting language and shader writing = nice to have
What to send our way
- Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, and skills
- A portfolio of your best work, showcasing your UI skills (attach images or send us a link to your personal website or online portfolio)
At Ubisoft Montreal, a preeminent developer of video games located in Montreal’s dynamic Mile-End neighbourhood since 1997, we offer a work environment unique in the industry for allowing you to build and cultivate games that are part of critically acclaimed, iconic AAA franchises of international repute.
When you join Ubi Montreal, you enter a community of passionate, extraordinary developers connected by their need to innovate, to be creative and to work with the latest technology. You’ll discover a world where employees enjoy constant career advancement, a supportive learning environment, and competitive compensation packages.
More than anything, at Ubi Montreal, you will regularly ship a variety of big, quality titles – Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Rainbow Six, Watch_Dogs, For Honor and… well we can’t disclose all our secrets just yet… – and work with some of the most talented people in the industry.
At Ubisoft, you can come as you are. We embrace diversity in all its forms. We’re committed to fostering a work environment that is inclusive and respectful of all differences.