Technical Lead (Anvil Pipeline)
Full-time - REF19983J
As a Technical Lead at Ubi MTL within Anvil, you’re an established leader, an expert in your field, who relies on past learnings to guide decisions in the present and proactively plan for the future.
You steer a team of programmers towards a technical vision, plus produce high-quality code and navigate constraints to turn it into reality.
With a responsibility to help your team of programmers develop their skills, you coach and mentor them, empowering them to innovate and perform at their best.
Thanks to your expertise, credibility, and reliability, not only can developers on your project turn to you for information and direction, but so can others. You’re a go-to person for guidance and a trusted advisor for Ubisoft employees worldwide.
Anvil is a Game Engine developed internally at Ubisoft and used worldwide to power the greatest AAA games. Originally developed alongside the release of the original Assassin’s Creed in 2007 to build one dynamic open world games it has since evolved to support a huge variety of game genres and platforms. Play the most tactical 5vs5 FPS in Rainbow 6 Siege on your PC or jump into a mass multiplayer playground in Rider’s Republic on your next generation console …. there is no limit with Anvil.
In the Anvil team we strongly believe in empowering our developers and enabling them to build the most innovative, amazing-looking and enriching game experiences. If you join us you will be working in close collaboration with multiple production teams and help us create a cutting-edge production pipeline featuring powerful core services and easy-to-use tools. Fancy joining the Anvil community?
What you’ll do
- Define the technical vision within your area of specialization (e.g. gameplay, animation, UI, physics, AI, 3D, engine, etc.) + plan its technical roadmap.
- Regularly meet with your programming team to discuss progress; tackle setbacks; share updates; present features; give feedback; informatively and constructively explain the root causes of risks and issues; etc.
- Mentor and motivate programmers to develop their technical skills + provide them with what they need to work efficiently and achieve quality (tools, pipelines, etc.).
- Write elegant code customized to the hardware you’re working with.
- Provide technical oversight by reviewing code and making technical validations.
- Anticipate and assess complex, escalated issues + propose adapted solutions.
- Synch up with other technical leads to remove blockers and keep production moving forward.
- Communicate with interdependent teams on other projects to exchange information.
- Stay up to date on technological advancements and industry standards to define our best practices + share them with our studios.
What you bring
- An undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, or equivalent
- Around 7 years of programming experience + 2 years of technical leadership
- A deep understanding of a variety of game engines, systems, programming languages, interdependencies, and critical issues
- The ability to make informed, immediate decisions with minimal long-term impacts
- A strategic approach to problem-solving: you don’t just patch problems, you solve them so that they never happen again
- Excellent mentorship, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- A highly innovative and collaborative spirit
- Effective cross-departmental communication: you can easily communicate with all disciplines + break down complex information for various audiences
- A desire to share your knowledge to push the boundaries of technology & help others improve their skills
What to send our way
- Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, skills, and any games shipped
A real live person will review your application. In this case, it’s our talent acquisition specialist Alison. As she learns more about you through your profile, get to know her through the video below.
At Ubisoft Montreal, a preeminent developer of video games located in Montreal’s dynamic Mile-End neighbourhood since 1997, we offer a work environment unique in the industry for allowing you to build and cultivate games that are part of critically acclaimed, iconic AAA franchises of international repute.
When you join Ubi Montreal, you enter a community of passionate, extraordinary developers connected by their need to innovate, to be creative and to work with the latest technology. You’ll discover a world where employees enjoy constant career advancement, a supportive learning environment, and competitive compensation packages.
More than anything, at Ubi Montreal, you will regularly ship a variety of big, quality titles – Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Rainbow Six, Watch_Dogs, For Honor and… well we can’t disclose all our secrets just yet… – and work with some of the most talented people in the industry.
At Ubisoft, you can come as you are. We embrace diversity in all its forms. We’re committed to fostering a work environment that is inclusive and respectful of all differences.