Technical Director (Characters)
Full-time - REF20726Q
As a character TD at Ubi MTL, you will oversee the quality and technical content of your team. You will optimize team productivity through the technical process (pipeline) in order to maximize the player’s experience. This is achieved by identifying the project’s needs, implementing efficient work tools and methods to maximize data integration in the engine and providing technical support to the team.
What you'll do
- Determine your team’s technical needs to carry out the visions for the game design and level design and/or the artistic direction by validating game features and challenging its interpretation to assess their technical feasibility.
- Help choose the project engine to ensure that your trade’s needs are considered by evaluating existing engines, contributing to the design of a new engine (if applicable) and testing the final engine choice.
- Acquire the best tools in collaboration with the programming team and other Technical directors (TD) of the project to enhance and facilitate your trade’s work by prototyping technological elements, asking for adjustments to existing tools, requesting new tools and validating their efficiency before they are deployed on the project.
- Establish the best work methods and data structures (data and assets) to standardize work methods and ensure the validity and integrity of the data (meet standards and minimize debugging) by writing technical (pipeline) documents, establishing a naming method, training, coaching and supervising users of the process.
- Find improvements and resolve issues in order to provide technical support to your trade by working in close collaboration with programmers and training team members to become specialists resolving tasks and precise problems.
- Stay informed of new technical and technological developments in order to apply them to your project when relevant and share your project’s developments with your peers (TDs on other projects or other trades).
- Help plan the work by collaborating with the planning lead on the scope of each task and the impact on your team in order to find the right compromise between the desired quality and the delivery constraints (time, costs, resources, etc.).
- Follow up on the tasks of the assistant TDs to assess the progress of the deliverables.
What you bring
- Approximately 7 years of experience in character modeling and/or rigging, or programming (or other relevant experience) + 3 years of leadership experience
- A degree in 3D animation, computer science, or computer engineering (or related training)
- Knowledge of modeling, texturing, anatomy, shaders, and other character-related developments
- Strong communication, interpersonal, mentoring, time management, organizational and presentation skills
- Innovative, collaborative, caring and solution-oriented mindset
- Critical thinking, curiosity, resourcefulness and high flexibility
- Familiarity with bug tracking software (e.g. Jira) and release management systems (e.g. Perforce)
- A passion for sharing knowledge: you have an inclination to help others learn and grow
What to send our way
- Your CV highlighting your education, experience, skills, and any games shipped
- Please feel free to send us samples of your work or any supporting documentation you find relevant.
Ubisoft’s 20,000 team members, working across more than 30 countries around the world, are bound by a common mission: enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. Their commitment and talent have brought to life many acclaimed franchises such as Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Rainbow Six, and many more to come.
Ubisoft is an equal opportunity employer that believes diverse backgrounds and perspectives are key to creating worlds where both players and teams can thrive and express themselves.
When you join Ubi MTL, you discover a workplace that sparks inspiration and connection. We offer a collaborative space that provides career advancement, a host of learning opportunities, and meaningful benefits centred on well-being.
If you are excited about solving game-changing challenges, harnessing cutting-edge technologies, and pushing the boundaries of entertainment, we invite you to join us on our journey and help us create the unknown.
At Ubisoft, you can come as you are. We embrace diversity in all its forms. We’re committed to fostering a work environment that is inclusive and respectful of all differences.