Technical Director (Art)
Full-time - 3156BR
As a Technical Art Director at Ubi MTL, you have the highest-level understanding of what our tech can do, can’t do, yet could do, plus visibility on the project as a whole. You’re responsible for providing expert insight, tools, and support to steer a game – and its creators – towards success.
Working with other directors early on, you discuss intentions before making any commitments. You take into account not only measurable factors such as rendering, performance, and memory, but also intangible ones like timing and momentum. Seeing the facts realistically, you establish an actionable plan to bridge the gap between coming up with ideas and putting them into practice.
Though every day of development brings its own mix of both expected and unforeseen challenges, you never lose sight of the big picture. As a strategic thinker and tactical planner, you balance short-term priorities with long-term goals, while consistently considering the future impacts of your choices.
What you’ll do
- Collaborate with other core team members to develop the overall vision & determine technical feasibility.
- Identify and analyze risks (engine, data, features, etc.).
- Assess existing tools + occasionally design custom ones to support art pipelines and workflows & sustain the vision.
- Meet with technical artists and assistant technical art directors to share information and updates, enforce standards, set benchmarks, give feedback, etc.
- Resolve specific, complex, escalated issues & approve technical specifications.
- Prepare post-mortems + recommend ways to evolve how we create and integrate graphic data.
- Anticipate technological advancements and stay up to date on market trends to define our best practices + share them with our studios and the industry.
- Participate in recruitment to build the technical art team & foster their growth
What you bring
- Art, technical art, or programming experience, or other related experience + leadership experience
- Familiarity with bug tracking software (e.g. Jira) and version management systems (e.g. Perforce)
- A highly innovative, collaborative, empathetic, and solution-oriented spirit
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, mentorship, and presentation skills
- Critical thinking, time management, and organizational capabilities
- Attention to detail, curiosity, resourcefulness, and plenty of flexibility
What to send our way
- Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, skills, and games shipped
Please feel free to send us samples of your work or any supporting documentation you find relevant.
At Ubisoft Montreal, a preeminent developer of video games located in Montreal’s dynamic Mile-End neighbourhood since 1997, we offer a work environment unique in the industry for allowing you to build and cultivate games that are part of critically acclaimed, iconic AAA franchises of international repute.
When you join Ubi Montreal, you enter a community of passionate, extraordinary developers connected by their need to innovate, to be creative and to work with the latest technology. You’ll discover a world where employees enjoy constant career advancement, a supportive learning environment, and competitive compensation packages.
More than anything, at Ubi Montreal, you will regularly ship a variety of big, quality titles – Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Rainbow Six, Watch_Dogs, For Honor and… well we can’t disclose all our secrets just yet… – and work with some of the most talented people in the industry.
At Ubisoft, you can come as you are. We embrace diversity in all its forms. We’re committed to fostering a work environment that is inclusive and respectful of all differences