R&D Technical Lead (Studio Alice)
Full-time - REF19512W
In an industry where open worlds are becoming increasingly large, complex, and realistic, Studio Alice specializes in "World Capture." Our team of experts at Studio Alice capture real-world elements to breathe more life into our games through casting, performance capture, photogrammetry, and audio, to help create immersive, innovative, and unparalleled experiences.
As an R&D Technical Lead at Studio Alice, you’ll be responsible for architecting and ensuring the implementation quality of solutions developed by the programming team.
Drawing on past learnings, you’ll stay on top of technology and anticipate upcoming challenges. You'll take part in technical discussions with other teams, departments, and productions, all to think and plan future solutions.
With a responsibility to help your team of programmers develop their skills, you coach and mentor them, empowering them to innovate and perform at their best.
Thanks to your expertise, credibility, and reliability, not only can colleagues on your project turn to you for information and direction, but so can others. You’re a go-to person for guidance and a reference for Ubisoft employees around the world.
What you’ll do
- Establish the technical vision for the tools and pipelines of various services (performance capture, audio dialogs, SFX, photogrammetry, etc.) + help define roadmaps and provide visibility on development.
- Regularly meet with your programming team to discuss progress; tackle setbacks; share updates; present features; give feedback; informatively and constructively explain the root causes of risks and issues; etc.
- Mentor and motivate programmers to develop their technical skills + provide them with what they need to work efficiently and achieve quality (tools, pipelines, etc.).
- Write elegant code customized to the hardware you’re working with.
- Provide technical oversight by reviewing code and making technical validations.
- Anticipate and assess complex and urgent problems + propose adapted solutions.
- Collaborate with your team lead and other technical leads to plan for upcoming sprints, remove blockers, and keep production moving forward.
- Communicate with interdependent teams on other projects to exchange information.
- Stay up to date on technological advancements and industry standards to define our best practices + share them with our studios.
What you bring
- Extensive programming and technical leadership experience
- Proficiency in various programming languages, especially C# (WPF), C++, and Python
- The ability to make informed, immediate decisions with minimal long-term impacts
- A strategic approach to problem-solving: you don’t just patch problems, you solve them so that they never happen again
- Excellent mentorship, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- A collaborative and innovative spirit
- A degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or Software Engineering (or related training)
- Effective cross-departmental communication: you can easily communicate with all disciplines + break down complex information for various audiences
- A desire to share your knowledge to push the boundaries of technology & help others improve their skills
Just a heads up: If you require a work permit, your eligibility may depend on your education and years of relevant work experience, as required by the government.
What to send our way
- Your CV, highlighting your background and skills
A real live person will review your application. In this case, it’s our talent acquisition specialist Laurence. As she learns more about you through your profile, get to know her through the video below.
Creating the unknown since 1997. At Ubisoft Montreal, we’re united by a common goal: to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. We develop iconic franchises that engage millions around the world, like Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, For Honor, Rainbow Six, Watch Dogs – and, well, we can’t disclose all our secrets just yet.
Our biggest strength is – and always will be – our people: the immensely talented team members surrounding, supporting, and producing the high-quality games that have made our studio what it is today.
When you join Ubi MTL, you’ll discover a workplace that sparks inspiration and connection: an environment with a variety of voices, identities, backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We offer a collaborative space that provides career advancement, a host of learning opportunities, and meaningful benefits centred on well-being.
Here, our shared desire to dream big, take risks, and constantly improve contributes to the innovation and boundary-pushing that ultimately leads to our collective success.
At Ubisoft, you can come as you are. We embrace diversity in all its forms. We’re committed to fostering a work environment that is inclusive and respectful of all differences.