Programmer (R&D, Gameplay AI, and Bots) – La Forge
Full-time - REF13206Y
As an R&D Programmer within Ubi MTL’s La Forge, your role will be threefold: you will develop research prototypes alongside scientists, transform proof-of-concept prototypes to production-ready technologies and simplify how people work together within your team.
Your technical expertise paired with your communication skills will be invaluable in all that you do. On the research side of your job, you will work closely with scientists to create and iterate on research prototypes. On the transformation side, you will adapt prototypes to minimum viable products, easing the hands-off to game development teams across the company. And on the simplification side, you will create and maintain prototyping tools, standardize processes, and share best practices to increase efficiency at La Forge.
Inside La Forge, the Smart Bots team focuses on research with applied Reinforcement Learning and Imitation Learning techniques for Smarter Agents in Gameplay and AI. We target many different applications, such as navigation, game balancing, testing, collaboration, adaptive difficulty, and believability.
About La Forge
La Forge bridges academia and video game production, bringing together scholars and industry experts to facilitate technical prototyping based on the latest academic progress. Together, we explore subjects such as rendering, animation, AI, audio, and physics to tackle some of the biggest challenges in art and tech in gaming. Dedicated to innovation, we aim to accelerate research and development through prototyping to help content creators build increasingly believable worlds and better understand our players.
What you’ll do
- Design, code, and integrate research-based prototypes in game engines & internal middleware.
- Work closely with research scientists and production leads.
- Improve prototypes to minimal viable products for game development teams.
- Partner with product teams to release complete product packages that meet production quality criteria (robustness, documentation, completeness, and performance).
- Develop and maintain prototyping tools and infrastructure to facilitate collaboration between researchers.
- Encourage standardization of frameworks, libraries, etc. among R&D teams + recommend and share best practices.
What you bring
- An undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or equivalent
- At least 3 years of software development experience or related experience (with a focus on machine learning or in the gaming industry being a huge plus)
- Proficiency in Python & C++
- Experience using game engines (e.g., Unity or Unreal)
- Experience with deep learning frameworks (e.g., PyTorch or Tensor Flow)
- Knowledge of Reinforcement Learning and/or Imitation Learning
- Knowledge in Gameplay or AI technique applied in video game production
- A highly collaborative and solution-oriented spirit
- Curiosity and critical thinking
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- Motivation to innovate in the video game industry & adapt to its (constantly evolving) rhythm
- Experience with storage systems, distributed systems, high-performance computing, or CUDA programming (an asset)
- Knowledge of Linux and Windows OS (an asset)
What to send our way
- Your CV highlighting your education, experience, and skills
Ubisoft’s 20,000 team members, working across more than 30 countries around the world, are bound by a common mission: enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. Their commitment and talent have brought to life many acclaimed franchises such as Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Rainbow Six, and many more to come.
Ubisoft is an equal opportunity employer that believes diverse backgrounds and perspectives are key to creating worlds where both players and teams can thrive and express themselves.
When you join Ubi MTL, you discover a workplace that sparks inspiration and connection. We offer a collaborative space that provides career advancement, a host of learning opportunities, and meaningful benefits centred on well-being.
If you are excited about solving game-changing challenges, harnessing cutting-edge technologies, and pushing the boundaries of entertainment, we invite you to join us on our journey and help us create the unknown.
At Ubisoft, you can come as you are. We embrace diversity in all its forms. We’re committed to fostering a work environment that is inclusive and respectful of all differences.