Full-time - REF14465T
As a Narrative Director at Ubi MTL, you will be at the helm of the creation of the embedded and emergent narrative elements that make up a living, breathing, reactive world. You’ll champion your narrative vision among other core team members, and work with your talented team of scriptwriters to bring it to life.
You let your team’s encouraged ideas shape the direction you set, and then drive it forward throughout production. Even when changes to gameplay (inevitably) come your way, you keep focus on supporting the narrative, and motivate your team to do the same. Thanks to your expertise and storytelling ability, you can step in to write content when need be to help deliver an engaging experience for players to uncover.
What you’ll do
· Partner with the creative and game directors to define the overall game and unify your visions.
· Meet with your team to brainstorm ideas, set benchmarks, share knowledge, provide feedback and coaching, present updates, etc.
· Research history, locations, and events to develop the game’s narrative vision and underlying themes.
· Support writers in developing content (plot, setting, characters, barks, dialogue, events, lore, item descriptions, tutorials, etc.) & provide guidance to lead scriptwriters to achieve quality.
· Communicate with collaborative teams to ensure consistency across the board.
· Review and discuss budgets and timelines with the producer.
· Cast actors & guide voice over and motion capture recordings.
· Occasionally travel locally and abroad to present the game, meet with external partners, etc.
· Help with any marketing and public relations projects, and assist with localization needs.
· Participate in recruitment to build your scriptwriting team & foster their growth.
What you bring
· A degree in Creative Writing, Literature, Film, or equivalent
· At least 5 years of writing experience or related experience + 2 years of leadership
· Solid understanding of the video game industry, the market, and pop culture
· A highly creative, collaborative, empathetic, and innovative spirit
· Curiosity, flexibility, and plenty of resourcefulness
· Exceptional problem-solving, organizational, communication, interpersonal, presentation, and mentorship skills
· Ability to improvise and to adapt to feedback
What to send our way
· Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, skills, and any games shipped
Please feel free to send us samples of your best work (attach files or send us a link to your personal website or online portfolio).
At Ubisoft Montreal, a preeminent developer of video games located in Montreal’s dynamic Mile-End neighbourhood since 1997, we offer a work environment unique in the industry for allowing you to build and cultivate games that are part of critically acclaimed, iconic AAA franchises of international repute.
When you join Ubi Montreal, you enter a community of passionate, extraordinary developers connected by their need to innovate, to be creative and to work with the latest technology. You’ll discover a world where employees enjoy constant career advancement, a supportive learning environment, and competitive compensation packages.
More than anything, at Ubi Montreal, you will regularly ship a variety of big, quality titles – Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Rainbow Six, Watch_Dogs, For Honor and… well we can’t disclose all our secrets just yet… – and work with some of the most talented people in the industry.
We are an equal-opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability status.