Level Designer (Mission)
Full-time - REF9437A
As a level designer (mission) at Ubisoft Montréal, you'll mix gameplay elements and guidelines to design unique places to explore and enticing environments to interact with. You'll help create the quests that will guide players through an immersive, memorable and rich adventure.
You'll draw the blueprint of what players will see and experience within a part of an immersive world!
You are an architect focused on function. You'll use the creation tools and game engine at your disposition to conceptualize, prototype, and deliver the levels you manage. Always mindful of how players will react and move within your layout, you'll adapt your designed areas to continuously boost their quality.
What you’ll do
- Document and create levels according to the artistic, creative and design visions.
- Present ideas to interdependent teams (conceptualize and communicate engaging gameplay experiences).
- Prototype different scenarios and gameplay elements to validate their pertinence and effect.
- Use integration tools to create explorable and rich gaming spaces,
- Lay out your environment in detail (place settlements, non-player characters, encounters, events, and other features that advance the game narratively).
- Use scripting tools to integrate narrative sequences and quest gameplay.
- Balance artistic aspects with metrics and technical constraints.
- Collaborate with level artists and animators to breathe life and beauty into your created space (composition, structure, architecture) and encourage interactions.
- Cooperate with mission designers to ensure playability and consistency.
- Develop your design based on comments from play testers and cross-functional team members (iterate, debug and optimize).
What you bring
- A college diploma in Game Design or equivalent (undergraduate degree an asset)
- At least 7 years of experience in video game level design or related experience (having worked on a AAA game, an asset)
- Experience using game engines (e.g. Unity or Unreal) + knowledge of 2D art tools (e.g. Photoshop) and 3D software (e.g. 3DS Max, Maya, or Sketchup)
- Exceptional collaboration, communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- Ability to accept feedback and adapt to it
- A keen eye for detail
- Curiosity, flexibility, and resourcefulness – you can find creative solutions to problems with no clear answer (just yet)!
What to send our way
- Your CV highlighting your education, experience, and skills
- Please feel free to send us samples of your work (attach files or send us a link to your demo reel or online portfolio)
Ubisoft’s 20,000 team members, working across more than 30 countries around the world, are bound by a common mission: enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. Their commitment and talent have brought to life many acclaimed franchises such as Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Rainbow Six, and many more to come.
Ubisoft is an equal opportunity employer that believes diverse backgrounds and perspectives are key to creating worlds where both players and teams can thrive and express themselves.
When you join Ubi MTL, you discover a workplace that sparks inspiration and connection. We offer a collaborative space that provides career advancement, a host of learning opportunities, and meaningful benefits centred on well-being.
If you are excited about solving game-changing challenges, harnessing cutting-edge technologies, and pushing the boundaries of entertainment, we invite you to join us on our journey and help us create the unknown.
At Ubisoft, you can come as you are. We embrace diversity in all its forms. We’re committed to fostering a work environment that is inclusive and respectful of all differences.