Lead Character Concept Artist (For Honor)
Full-time - REF18746B
As a Lead Character Concept Artist on For Honor, you’ll support the game’s art director by carrying his vision, producing character concepts, and ensuring the quality of their implementation throughout production.
Combining your passion for character, armor and weapon design, knowledge of art concepts, and a keen artistic eye, you help shape the direction of For Honor’s characters. And then empower a group of artists to see it through.
Though you communicate a clear direction, you stay open to its evolution, fostering an environment of creative freedom that allows every artist to come up with ideas that fit the feel of For Honor and enhance its visual identity.
What you’ll do
- Work closely with the art director to help develop For Honor’s artistic vision and set the direction of its characters;
- Collaborate with other concept artists to translate ideas into inspirational and relevant references and moodboards;
- Present and explain concepts to artists to connect them to the vision and orient them;
- Regularly meet with artists to give (and receive) feedback, share suggestions, set benchmarks, find balance between artistic aspects and technical constraints, etc.;
- Review and validate integrated work to ensure a consistent, quality visual style;
- Stay on top of overall progress, making sure that the art, narrative, design, and tech support each other.
What you bring
- Around 5 years of art-related experience in the video game industry (or other relevant experience) + 2 years of leadership;
- A solid understanding of art fundamentals (lighting, composition, architecture, anatomy, proportion, etc.), artistic culture (photography, movies, books, comics, etc.) & video game culture;
- Knowledge of game engines (e.g. Unity or Unreal) and their limitations, 2D art tools (e.g. Photoshop), and 3D software (e.g. 3DS Max, Maya, or ZBrush);
- Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills;
- Open-mindedness: you’re receptive to new ideas and fresh perspectives;
- Effective cross-departmental communication: you have the know-how to comfortably communicate with all disciplines (programming, design, animation, and so on).
Just a heads up: If you require a work permit, your eligibility may depend on your education and years of relevant work experience, as required by the government.
What to send our way
- Your CV, highlighting your experience, education, skills, and any games shipped
Feel free to share a portfolio of your best work (attach images or send us a link to your personal website or online portfolio).
Creating the unknown since 1997. At Ubisoft Montreal, we’re united by a common goal: to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. We develop iconic franchises that engage millions around the world, like Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, For Honor, Rainbow Six, Watch Dogs – and, well, we can’t disclose all our secrets just yet.
Our biggest strength is – and always will be – our people: the immensely talented team members surrounding, supporting, and producing the high-quality games that have made our studio what it is today.
When you join Ubi MTL, you’ll discover a workplace that sparks inspiration and connection: an environment with a variety of voices, identities, backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We offer a collaborative space that provides career advancement, a host of learning opportunities, and meaningful benefits centred on well-being. Here, our shared desire to dream big, take risks, and constantly improve contributes to the innovation and boundary-pushing that ultimately leads to our collective success.