Generalist Programmer (Technology Group)
Full-time - REF10403J
At the Technology Group (TG), we provide tools, middleware, and services adapted to the needs of Ubisoft game production teams. Be it front-end or back-end solutions, tools, or expertise, we support our productions throughout their life cycle. Through collaboration and innovation, we contribute to boosting the efficiency of pipelines and the development of products to deliver quality games to millions of players worldwide. Exploring ideas, experimenting with new technologies, and implementing stable ones are part of our daily life.
As a Generalist Programmer within the TG, you’ll join a specific domain team – like AI & gameplay, UI, or debug & profiling – to develop systems and tools used by developers and content creators across Ubi.
On the AI & gameplay side, that could mean tools that help give life to our worlds; on the UI front, solutions that allow production teams to create and render game HUDs and menu elements; and for debug and profiling, tools to detect and correct anomalies.
No matter the domain, you’ll be in close contact with the game development community, have a significant impact on multiple games, plus influence the upcoming developments in your area of specialization.
Sometimes you’ll write code from scratch. Most of the time, though, you’ll modify existing code while solving interesting, complex problems along the way.
With a focus on quality, you’ll ensure that every component you create or optimize can be integrated into all games, multiple engines, and work on all platforms and consoles – without compromising performance or memory.
Sure, you have a lot to consider, but you’re up for the challenge.
What you’ll do
- Design and implement tailored tools and systems on a particularly large spectrum, from game engines to game editors or any middleware used in production.
- Program in a clear and structured manner in keeping with performance, scalability, and maintenance requirements.
- Support the production teams by ensuring that their tools and systems are stable and effective + help guide integration.
- Debug and optimize already existing systems + create and run advanced tests.
- Participate in code reviews and discussions to evolve solutions and improve workflows.
- Work closely with other service teams (like Harbour, our online solutions team) to exchange information and learnings (related to middleware, architecture, design, automated testing, documentation, etc.).
- Stay up to date on technological advancements and industry standards to define our best practices (notably in terms of CI/CD pipelines and InnerSource projects.).
- Write and maintain documentation that will serve as a company-wide reference.
What you bring
- Proficiency in various programming languages, especially C++ and C#
- The ability to design maintainable, well-optimized, easy-to-integrate code
- Knowledge of game engines and their limitations
- 3D math, optimization, and debugging skills
- A degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering (or related training)
- Effective communication to interact with all disciplines
- Plenty of flexibility to adapt to shifting priorities, requirements, and tech (engines, consoles, operating systems – you name it)
- Innovation that drives you to explore and bring about new ways of doing things
Just a heads up: If you require a work permit, your eligibility may depend on your education and years of relevant work experience, as required by the government.
What to send our way
- Your CV, highlighting your background and skills
A real live person will review your application. In this case, it’s our talent acquisition specialist Karin. As she learns more about you through your profile, get to know her through the video below.
Creating the unknown since 1997. At Ubisoft Montreal, we’re united by a common goal: to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. We develop iconic franchises that engage millions around the world, like Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, For Honor, Rainbow Six, Watch Dogs – and, well, we can’t disclose all our secrets just yet.
Our biggest strength is – and always will be – our people: the immensely talented team members surrounding, supporting, and producing the high-quality games that have made our studio what it is today.
When you join Ubi MTL, you’ll discover a workplace that sparks inspiration and connection: an environment with a variety of voices, identities, backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We offer a collaborative space that provides career advancement, a host of learning opportunities, and meaningful benefits centred on well-being.
Here, our shared desire to dream big, take risks, and constantly improve contributes to the innovation and boundary-pushing that ultimately leads to our collective success.
At Ubisoft, you can come as you are. We embrace diversity in all its forms. We’re committed to fostering a work environment that is inclusive and respectful of all differences.