Director (Anvil Pipeline)
Full-time - REF18542K
As the Anvil Platform Technology Director, you’ll define a vision and establish a strategy for an innovative and reliable platform that supports multiple projects and converges with our proprietary engine’s reference branch. You’ll be accountable for developing optimized processes, methods, and tools for its implementation, delivery, and achievement of set goals.
You’re a seasoned technology leader, able to inspire confidence and align current tech needs across the many Ubisoft projects using the platform. You’ll oversee and guide a distributed team in a common direction to generate tangible results.
Anvil is a Game Engine developed internally at Ubisoft and used worldwide to power the greatest AAA games. Originally developed alongside the release of the original Assassin’s Creed in 2007 to build one dynamic open world games it has since evolved to support a huge variety of game genres and platforms. Play the most tactical 5vs5 FPS in Rainbow 6 Siege on your PC or jump into a mass multiplayer playground in Rider’s Republic on your next generation console …. there is no limit with Anvil.
In the Anvil team we strongly believe in empowering our developers and enabling them to build the most innovative, amazing-looking and enriching game experiences. If you join us you will be working in close collaboration with multiple production teams and help us create a cutting-edge production pipeline featuring powerful core services and easy-to-use tools. Fancy joining the Anvil community?
What you'll do
- Work closely with the pipeline technology director to assess and develop Anvil’s mission, vision, objectives, and priorities.
- Define the department’s overall scope: create its high-level roadmap and timeline, establish its main deliverables and key milestones + set its development strategies and budgets, looking to optimize return on investment.
- Create, implement, and communicate a decision-making structure for the department + build its organizational structure to maximize the team’s talents and participate in recruitment.
- Reflect on what’s working and what’s not and look for areas of improvement to evolve our processes, methods, and practices.
- Establish and maintain relationships with partners and clients using the Anvil platform+ develop communication channels to cultivate collaboration and provide critical information to internal clients (like producers, for example) regarding their projects.
- Gain a deep understanding of production needs related to the products or services offered by Anvil (such as the type of services, products, technologies, performance, or quality desired).
- Track major deliverables within the team and ensure that they meet the quality level and expectations of clients and partners.
- Anticipate and propose solutions to overlapping production priorities, feature development timelines, etc.
- Foresee and identify risks and setbacks + put plans in place to overcome them.
- Inspire, lead, and foster the professional growth of your team members.
What you bring to the team
- Around 10 years of experience in technology leadership and team management in the video game industry (or related experience);
- In-depth knowledge of development pipelines and interdependencies + familiarity with a variety of project management methodologies;
- A degree in Computer science or Software engineering (or other relevant training);
- An innovative spirit that drives you to explore and bring about new ways of doing things;
- The ability to influence change + anticipate blockers and find creative solutions to remove them;
- A collaborative mindset + excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills;
- Consideration of the impact your choices have on team members;
- Plenty of flexibility to adapt to whatever production (inevitably) throws your way: you can modify any part of your plans based on the situation.
What to send our way
Your CV, highlighting your background, skills, and any games shipped
A real live person will review your application. In this case, it’s our talent acquisition specialist Eric. As he learns more about you through your profile, get to know him through the video below.
Creating the unknown since 1997. At Ubisoft Montreal, we’re united by a common goal: to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. We develop iconic franchises that engage millions around the world, like Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, For Honor, Rainbow Six, Watch Dogs – and, well, we can’t disclose all our secrets just yet.
Our biggest strength is – and always will be – our people: the immensely talented team members surrounding, supporting, and producing the high-quality games that have made our studio what it is today.
When you join Ubi MTL, you’ll discover a workplace that sparks inspiration and connection: an environment with a variety of voices, identities, backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We offer a collaborative space that provides career advancement, a host of learning opportunities, and meaningful benefits centred on well-being. Here, our shared desire to dream big, take risks, and constantly improve contributes to the innovation and boundary-pushing that ultimately leads to our collective success.