Associate Art Director (World Building)
Full-time - REF20738L
When you’re an Associate Art Director (World Building) at Ubi MTL, your role is centred around inspiration: from the top-down and the bottom-up.
After inspiring the overall artistic vision of a game, you define the direction of its environments. And then empower a group of artists to see it through.
Though you communicate a clear direction, you stay open to its evolution, fostering an environment of creative freedom that allows every artist to come up with ideas that fit the feel of the game and enhance its visual identity.
Throughout production, you shift your focus from the micro-details to the big picture, keeping an eye on how everything comes together and holds as a whole. The ultimate goal? A rich, cohesive, immersive world for players to discover.
What you’ll do
- Work closely with the art director to help develop the artistic vision of the game.
- Brainstorm and research to set the artistic direction of your area of ownership (environment).
- Collaborate with environment/level artists to translate ideas into inspirational and relevant references and moodboards.
- Present and explain concepts to artists to connect them to the vision and orient them.
- Regularly meet with your team to give (and receive) feedback, share suggestions, set benchmarks, find balance between artistic aspects and technical constraints, etc.
- Team up with other directors to review and validate in-game content to achieve quality + ensure a consistent, unified direction.
- Stay on top of overall progress, making sure that the art, narrative, design, and tech support each other.
What you bring
- A solid understanding of art fundamentals (lighting, composition, architecture, anatomy, proportion, etc.), artistic culture (photography, movies, books, comics, etc.) & video game culture;
- Knowledge of game engines (e.g. Unity or Unreal) and their limitations, 2D art tools (e.g. Photoshop), and 3D software (e.g. 3DS Max, Maya, or ZBrush);
- Art-related experience in the video game industry (or other relevant experience) + leadership experience;
- Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills;
- Open-mindedness: you’re receptive to new ideas and fresh perspective;
- Effective cross-departmental communication: you have the know-how to comfortably communicate with all disciplines (programming, design, animation, and so on).
What to send our way
- Your CV highlighting your experience, education, skills, and any games shipped
- A portfolio of your best work (attach images or send us a link to your personal website or online portfolio)
Just a heads up: If you require a work permit, your eligibility may depend on your education and years of relevant work experience, as required by the government.
Real live people will review your application. In this case, it will be our talent acquisition specialists Yara and Nicole. As they learn more about you through your profile, get to know them through the videos below.
Ubisoft’s 20,000 team members, working across more than 30 countries around the world, are bound by a common mission: enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. Their commitment and talent have brought to life many acclaimed franchises such as Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Rainbow Six, and many more to come.
Ubisoft is an equal opportunity employer that believes diverse backgrounds and perspectives are key to creating worlds where both players and teams can thrive and express themselves.
When you join Ubi MTL, you discover a workplace that sparks inspiration and connection. We offer a collaborative space that provides career advancement, a host of learning opportunities, and meaningful benefits centred on well-being.
If you are excited about solving game-changing challenges, harnessing cutting-edge technologies, and pushing the boundaries of entertainment, we invite you to join us on our journey and help us create the unknown.
At Ubisoft, you can come as you are. We embrace diversity in all its forms. We’re committed to fostering a work environment that is inclusive and respectful of all differences.