Assistant Art Director
Full-time - REF20738L
When you’re an Assistant Art Director at Ubi MTL, your role is centred around inspiration: from the top-down and the bottom-up.
After inspiring the overall artistic vision of a game, you define the direction of its environments. And then empower a group of artists to see it through.
Though you communicate a clear direction, you stay open to its evolution, fostering an environment of creative freedom that allows every artist to come up with ideas that fit the feel of the game and enhance its visual identity.
Throughout production, you shift your focus from the micro-details to the big picture, keeping an eye on how everything comes together and holds as a whole. The ultimate goal? A rich, cohesive, immersive world for players to discover.
What you’ll do
- Work closely with the art director to help develop the artistic vision of the game;
- Brainstorm and research to set the artistic direction of your area of ownership (environment);
- Collaborate with environment/level artists to translate ideas into inspirational and relevant references and moodboards;
- Present and explain concepts to artists to connect them to the vision and orient them;
- Regularly meet with your team to give (and receive) feedback, share suggestions, set benchmarks, find balance between artistic aspects and technical constraints, etc.
- Team up with other directors to review and validate in-game content to achieve quality + ensure a consistent, unified direction;
- Stay on top of overall progress, making sure that the art, narrative, design, and tech support each other.
What you bring
- A solid understanding of art fundamentals (lighting, composition, architecture, anatomy, proportion, etc.), artistic culture (photography, movies, books, comics, etc.) & video game culture;
- Knowledge of game engines (e.g. Unity or Unreal) and their limitations, 2D art tools (e.g. Photoshop), and 3D software (e.g. 3DS Max, Maya, or ZBrush);
- Art-related experience in the video game industry (or other relevant experience) + leadership experience;
- Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills;
- Open-mindedness: you’re receptive to new ideas and fresh perspective;
- Effective cross-departmental communication: you have the know-how to comfortably communicate with all disciplines (programming, design, animation, and so on).
Just a heads up: If you require a work permit, your eligibility may depend on your education and years of relevant work experience, as required by the government.
What to send our way
Your CV, highlighting your experience, education, skills, and any games shipped
Feel free to share a portfolio of your best work (attach images or send us a link to your personal website or online portfolio).
Creating the unknown since 1997. At Ubisoft Montreal, we’re united by a common goal: to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. We develop iconic franchises that engage millions around the world, like Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, For Honor, Rainbow Six, Watch Dogs – and, well, we can’t disclose all our secrets just yet.
Our biggest strength is – and always will be – our people: the immensely talented team members surrounding, supporting, and producing the high-quality games that have made our studio what it is today.
When you join Ubi MTL, you’ll discover a workplace that sparks inspiration and connection: an environment with a variety of voices, identities, backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We offer a collaborative space that provides career advancement, a host of learning opportunities, and meaningful benefits centred on well-being. Here, our shared desire to dream big, take risks, and constantly improve contributes to the innovation and boundary-pushing that ultimately leads to our collective success.