Animation Programmer (Anvil Pipeline)
Full-time - REF19985I
Creating dynamic, visually stunning games is a top priority at Ubisoft Montreal. Game animation plays an important role in the visual experience. As a studio with more than 4,000 employees, Ubisoft Montreal is always looking to innovate and give our players the best visual representation.
By controlling how game elements move and interact with each other, you'll be contributing to the game's technical development and artistic level. As an Animation Programmer, you'll be responsible for building systems and tools that will help your colleagues create fun, impressive, and engaging worlds that are reactive and alive while meeting the highest quality standards.
Anvil is a Game Engine developed internally at Ubisoft and used worldwide to power the greatest AAA games. Originally developed alongside the release of the original Assassin’s Creed in 2007 to build one dynamic open world games it has since evolved to support a huge variety of game genres and platforms. Play the most tactical 5vs5 FPS in Rainbow 6 Siege on your PC or jump into a mass multiplayer playground in Rider’s Republic on your next generation console …. there is no limit with Anvil.
In the Anvil team we strongly believe in empowering our developers and enabling them to build the most innovative, amazing-looking and enriching game experiences. If you join us you will be working in close collaboration with multiple production teams and help us create a cutting-edge production pipeline featuring powerful core services and easy-to-use tools.
Fancy joining the Anvil community?
What you'll do
- Work with different animation, programming, and mocap teams to understand their game animation needs, constraints, and intentions to design adapted solutions.
- Analyze existing animation features in the engine + design, develop, and maintain animation systems to properly understand technological limits and know what the engine can produce.
- Build animation systems that will be the basis for creating a living, dynamic world.
- Maintain existing animation systems unique to Ubisoft and optimize the animation engine capabilities for new projects.
- Program in a clear and structured manner in keeping with performance, memory, maintenance, compatibility, and portability requirements.
- Combine the technical and artistic sides of game design and program the animation systems that will make for the best visual representation.
- Research and develop new animation techniques (ex. procedural, physics, etc.).
- Monitor the evolution of animation techniques and share your knowledge with various cross-functional teams across Ubisoft.
What you bring
- C++ and C# experience + Visual Studio knowledge
- Strong 3D math skills
- Experience with animation techniques such as rigging, state machines, physics ragdolls, inverse kinematics (IK), compression, facial animation, etc.
- Experience in the animation field to understand programming tools and how to improve them
- A degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering (or related training)
- A good eye for detail to find even the smallest flaws in the system and optimize them
Just a heads up: If you require a work permit, your eligibility may depend on your education and years of relevant work experience, as required by the government.
What to send our way
- Your CV, highlighting your background and skills
Creating the unknown since 1997. At Ubisoft Montreal, we’re united by a common goal: to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. We develop iconic franchises that engage millions around the world, like Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, For Honor, Rainbow Six, Watch Dogs – and, well, we can’t disclose all our secrets just yet.
Our biggest strength is – and always will be – our people: the immensely talented team members surrounding, supporting, and producing the high-quality games that have made our studio what it is today.
When you join Ubi MTL, you’ll discover a workplace that sparks inspiration and connection: an environment with a variety of voices, identities, backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We offer a collaborative space that provides career advancement, a host of learning opportunities, and meaningful benefits centred on well-being.
Here, our shared desire to dream big, take risks, and constantly improve contributes to the innovation and boundary-pushing that ultimately leads to our collective success.
At Ubisoft, you can come as you are. We embrace diversity in all its forms. We’re committed to fostering a work environment that is inclusive and respectful of all differences.